Learn How to Paint Wooden Furniture Like a Pro
Painting wooden furniture is a job just about anyone can do. Following the proper steps, even a novice painter can produce a professional looking piece of painted wooden furniture.
Follow along as we explain, step-by-step, how to paint any wooden piece of furniture in or around your home.
1. Get the painting area ready for the project. Make sure to lay down drop cloths and open windows for ventilation. For added safety you can wear a face mask, which will help prevent the inhalation of fumes, or gloves, to keep your hands clean.
2. Remove any metal hardware from the furniture. Eliminating these obstacles at the beginning of the project will make the job easier and save you from potential frustrations.
3. Fill in holes with wood putty to ensure a solid, even surface. Scrape away the excess with a putty knife and allow it to dry before moving on to the next step.
4. Sandpaper the surface to remove any varnish or lacquer. The goal here is to make the surface smooth so the primer can easily adhere.
5. Wipe down the wood with a clean cloth to remove dust and residue from sanding.
1. Prime the wood to make for an even coat of paint. While priming is not absolutely necessary, it’s recommended if the result you’re hoping for is a smooth coat. If you want to achieve a weathered look, you may want to skip the primer step.
2. Sand the primed surface after it has dried using fine-grit sandpaper. This will help your paint bond to the primer layer. Wipe away any dust or residue from sanding.
3. Paint the wooden furniture. First go over the wood surface with a roller and later use a paint brush. Make sure to use a quality brush and paint even strokes. Let dry for up to six hours.
4. Repeat the primer and paint steps above for a second time. This is not an absolute requirement but it will produce the smoothest, most professional looking finish. Again, let the second layer dry for up to six hours.
5. Seal the paint job using lacquer or sealant to prevent nicks and scratches. This will also give the finish a slightly polished look. Reattach all hardware and enjoy your newly painted piece of wooden furniture.
If you’d like creative ideas for painting your wooden furniture, look no further than Pinterest. There are literally thousands of photos to browse for ideas.
Reference: How to Paint Wooden Furniture, wikiHow